Strudels are a speciality of my home-country. Mainly we fill Strudels with a mix of some fruits cut in pieces and seasoned with sugar and spices. These Ricotta - Strudel reminds me a little bit the so called "Topfenstrudel". This is a Strudel filled with some special fresh cheese = Topfen. In the following recipe I used ricotta, so you become a "Italian style Strudel" ;). Th recipe is very easy but the result is tremendous delicious....!!
You need ( for one Strudel ):
2 Strudel leafs ( if you can't find them you also may use Yufka leafs, you can find them in "Turkish" stores)
250 g ricotta
30 g sugar + 3 tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. fine breadcrumbs
3 tsp. Corn- or potatoe - starch
1 white from a big egg
120 g blueberries and raspberries
60 g wheat flour
Some melted butter
1. Mix together Ricotta, starch, sugar and egg white until well combined.
2. Preheat the oven to 200 C.
3. Put your Ricottamix in a pan and heat up until it turns to a thick creme while stirring from time to time. Then remove from the oven and let cool down a little bit.
4. Put the flour in a bowl and add the berries. By moving the bowl cover all the berries with some flour.
5. Put one of the strudel leafs on a wet tea towel and Put all over the melted butter with a cooking brush. Then dust all over with 3 Tbsp. Sugar and 2 Tbsp. fine breadcrumbs.
6. Cover with the second strudel Leaf and then put the Ricotta - Mix on the lower part
7. Disperse the berries over the Ricotta. Fold about 3 cm of both long sides of the strudel leafs toward the middle and then start folding the Strudel by taking the edges of the wet towel and starting from the smaller side of the Strudel (where you have positioned your Ricotta - Fruit - Mixture) . The Result should be a sort of a Roll... = a Strudel ;).
8. With the tea towel transfer the Strudel to a baking tray covered with some parchment paper and brush all over the Strudel with some melted butter.
9. Put in the preheated oven and bake for about 25 minutes.
Let cool down for some minutes, dust with icing sugar, cut in pieces and .... yummie!